Saturday, January 28, 2012

36 Week Update

Hi all - getting a jump start on my weekly blog post this week. Probably because I am back in the hospital for a few days & am already getting BORED. Not a good sign. They've told me that I could be here for 5 or so days :( The only decent thing about this visit is that I knew it was coming, so I was at least able to pack my bag & bring my comfiest pajamas & favorite bathroom products.

As I mentioned in my last posting, I'm back in the hospital so that they can switch one of my current medications. The blood thinner I was previously taking isn't conducive for laboring, so they are switching it over to a different one. I was told that it could take anywhere from 2 - 5 days; however, as JD reminded me today - with the way things have been going for me the last several weeks, I should anticipate it being closer to 5+. Boo.

They currently have me hooked up to an IV for the medication change, but once I reach a certain "level", they will transition to injections. Once I can show that my levels are stable while doing the injections, I believe I will be able to go back home... until it's time for BABY! Fingers crossed that I'll be able to do this quickly so that I can get back home!

Today I hit the 36 week mark - one week closer to a full term baby B!! They OB did a quick check of my cervix when I got to the hospital this morning & I am still 2.5cm dilated. They also did a quick ultrasound to check baby's position & he / she is still in the head-down "ready to rock" position! I can't say that I can tell by looking that baby has "dropped", but it definitely feels like it when I walk or stand.

I haven't felt any more *true* contractions in a week or so, but the braxton hicks contractions have definitely been getting more frequent & more intense. Baby continues to move around at all hours of the day - in fact, I joked with JD last night that I don't think that Baby B ever sleeps because I feel him / her moving all. the. time. Baby B even woke me up early this morning with the hiccups :) The nurse mentioned that she saw a note from the OB in my chart that said that they will look to induce once I've reached 38 weeks - if I haven't already gone into labor on my own. It's crazy to think that Baby B could be here in as little as 2 weeks!! JD & I are so excited / anxious to meet our sweet baby!!!!

I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy being at home on "modified bed rest"... I never thought it would be this tough to be out of work! I know it will be a different story once Baby B is here, but for now it's starting to get to me! I mean, a girl can only do so much laundry, pack hospital bags, organize drawers in nursery, etc... Mom & baby hospital bags are packed, carseat is installed, car is loaded - I think we're as ready as we're going to be for this baby's arrival!

Here's what's going on with Baby B's development this week...

Your Pregnancy: Week 36 (www.parentsconnect.com)

With a mere 28 days to go (give or take a few), you're almost at the end—and the beginning of your new life. Finish up your final prep by stocking up on diapers, washing the onesies and making sure the nursery is good to go. Then, even if baby comes early, you're still ready. Of course, every new parent feels wildly unprepared regardless of how operational the nursery is, but at least you won't be diaperless!

Wondering what's up with your body, your baby and your life this week? Read on ...

Your Body
Just when you think you can't possibly stand another day of your baby kicking your lungs and crowding your stomach, your baby will drop it like it's hot. This process, called lightening, will probably make it easier for you to breathe, but with your baby's head resting directly on your bladder, you'll be breathing all the way to the bathroom.

When your baby drops, you can rest assured that your pregnancy journey will be over within the next few weeks. Make sure to know the many signs and symptoms of labor so that you won't be caught with your pants down (both figuratively and literally).



Your Baby
Your baby continues to put on weight at about ½ pound each week. This layer of fat will help your baby regulate his body temperature after leaving your climate-controlled womb. In fact, your baby will be 15 percent fat at birth (and you ... well that's another story). Even in the womb, your baby can listen, feel, touch and see. The only thing separating him from living in the outside world is a little thing called the birth canal. Other highlights this week:

His gums are firm with ridges that look somewhat like teeth, though his actual pearly whites won't start breaking through until he's between three months and a year old.

Your baby has definite patterns of sleep and wakefulness—opening his eyes while awake and closing them while sleeping. Your baby will become alert and turn his head toward light and sound just as a newborn would—except when you put on that Celine Dion CD. Then the baby puts his hands up, turns away and gurgles, "Oh no you didn't!"

Your baby is now around 18½ inches long and nearly 6 pounds—just about as big as a breadbox!




Thank you again for all of the sweet calls, texts, emails, thoughts & prayers over the past few weeks!! Things have definitely not gone as we had planned, but the most important thing is that Baby B stays healthy & happy. It has meant so much to JD & I knowing that we have the love & support of so many great friends & family members!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment