Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 35 - and back at home!

Hi all! I am happy to report that since my last blog posting I have been discharged from UAB & am back at home!!! After spending 8 long nights at two different hospitals, it never felt so good to *finally* come home. The cardiologists were happy with how I had been responding to the medications, so they felt it was okay to let me come home to "modified bed rest". I haven't gone back to work yet, but I have a follow up with the OB staff at UAB tomorrow & will find out then if I can go back to work until Baby B arrives. **Fingers crossed**

Since coming home, I've been trying to get as much rest as possible so that my heart rate doesn't spike again; but, I've also been trying to do small things around the house, like finish washing baby clothes, blankets, etc... & get the nursery organized for baby's arrival. So far, I've been able to do that without too much trouble, which means that my meds are still working :)

Today I was able to run out to pick up some items I will need when I am in the hospital when Baby B is born (pajamas, etc...) - although I was tired when I got home, it felt good to be able to do things on my own again :) After resting, I was even able to get mine & baby's hospital bags packed! Now we are just waiting for the green light from Baby B!

Baby has been doing just fine this week & I continue to feel a good bit of movement - I have had frequent braxton hicks contractions all week, but no regularity, so it looks like Baby B is going to stay put for a little while longer. I am hoping that they will measure me at my appointment tomorrow to see if I have dilated any more since last week. The morning I was discharged from the hospital, the OB team did another ultrasound to check Baby B's growth. Although the ultrasound tech admitted that it is difficult to get an accurate read at this gestational period because baby is so cramped, she estimated that baby to already be as big as 6lbs!! If that's the case, Baby B is either going to be a little monster or he / she may be coming earlier than the due date... Baby's head is definitely facing down now & is getting ready to make a move for laboring / birth!!!

Here's what's going on with Baby B's development this week...

Your Pregnancy: Week 35 (www.parentsconnect.com)

Your Body
As Patrick Swayze put it, "Nobody puts baby in a corner!" Doubly true for your little tenant. Your baby has pretty much taken over your entire torso by now. Over the past few months, he's squished and mushed all of your organs out of the way. Any day now, he'll make a final move and shove your heart up and to the left to make more room for himself. (See, he's got your heart in his hands already.)

Before all this pregnancy stuff, your uterus was a small ball the size of your fist and was tucked neatly away behind your pelvis. Today your uterus is the size of a small watermelon and reaches all the way up to your ribs.

At this point in your pregnancy all the blood has gone to your belly ... literally. Nearly 1/6 of your body's total blood volume is chugging around in the vessels in your uterus. So that's why you feel so lightheaded all the time!




Your Baby
This week the final touches are being added to your mini-masterpiece and most of his development is going to packing on the pounds. While baby's movements may be becoming less jerky, he may do his final somersault in the womb soon—to put himself into the head-down position for birth. Other fascinating facts:

Your little Karate Kid can't quite pack the punch he used to due to the limited space inside the womb these days. You're likely to feel more wiggles, stretches and rolls than kicks and jabs. The extra layer of fat your baby is adding will create those cute dimples on your baby's elbows and knees. His liver has begun processing his waste products, so you know which organ to thank when he has his first blowout up the back of his onesie.

Baby's nails are growing so long they may curl over the tips of his tiny fingers and toes before he sees a pair of clippers. He'll be in serious need of a mani-pedi once he's born (as will you).

Your baby is now about 5½ pounds and over 18 inches long—about the size of one of those price-club sheet cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment