Monday, January 24, 2011

Resolutions.

Hi all - well, we are 4 weeks in to 2011 & I've started to think back on the mental "resolutions" I'd made for myself for this year. One thing that was really important for me was to read the Bible from cover to cover. As someone who grew up in the church, I was familiar with all the favorite Bible stories, but I had never actually read the Bible - like, really read it. So, my sweet daddy shared an outline that he & Mom got from their church, Social Circle United Methodist Church, that breaks the Bible down in to 365 daily readings. Each one is about 3 chapters long, & takes no time at all. I wasn't able to find the outline anywhere on the web, but let me know if you are interested & I will email you the hard copy I have!

So far, I have found this practice to be so rewarding! I look forward to the end of each day when I have "quiet time" in bed & do my daily reading! It has been so neat to go back & re-read the old favorites as an adult & it's as if I'm reading them for the first time. I interpret each story in such a different way than I did when I was younger!

I've seen some that go through the Bible in chronological order, & I may want to do that next year, but this one is just a straight reading through each book as they appear in the Bible.

As I prepared for this undertaking, I decided it was time I invested in a new Bible, as my former "student Bible" that I have used for MANY years (and LOVED) is a bit worn. I decided on a modern-looking standard NIV Bible from the Lifeway bookstore in Riverchase. So far, I am pleased with my purchase; however, I think that I would also like a daily devotional to accompany my daily reading. Just something a little more thought-provoking. Here's the one I'm looking at:



New Women's Devotional Bible, NIV by Zondervan Publishing

For anyone out there who may do daily readings / devotionals, please feel free to make suggestions for other items that you know are great!

I have a few other resolutions for 2011, but I'm keeping those to myself... What are some of your resolutions?

Until next time,

peace & love.

the bakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment