Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 38 Update: Getting Close to Baby's Arrival!!

Hi all - I hope that everybody is staying warm now that Winter has finally arrived! No action on the baby front here, but we sure are getting anxious to meet this little sweetie! JD & I have been trying to keep busy while we wait for Baby to come - yesterday we spent the day in the kitchen, JD making some BBQ pork & ribs while I was responsible for side items & dessert. I decided to go with some of our favorites: rich & creamy mac & cheese, broccoli slaw, & rice krispy treats. We also finally got around to hanging some things on the walls in Baby B's nursery! Here are a couple of pictures of our progress... I'm waiting until Baby B is born before I do something on the wall over the crib - I know I want to do something with Baby's name or initials, but we have to wait to find out if it's a boy or girl first :)






Today I went back to the OB doc at UAB for my 38 week check up. They did an ultrasound to check baby's size & the fluid levels. According to the ultrasound tech, Baby B is estimated to weigh 8lbs 5oz, but that could be off by a pound in either direction. The OB said that I have dilated 3cm (up from 2 a couple of weeks ago) & am still 80% effaced! Unfortunately, the ultrasound revealed that the fluid levels aren't as high as the OB had hoped, so they have asked me to come back on Thursday (Feb 16) of this week for another ultrasound to check. If the levels are still down, they will go ahead & admit me for an induction! Otherwise, we are still set for an induction on Monday (Feb 20). I have had a few contractions this afternoon / evening, but nothing consistent enough to be labor.

Here's what's going on with Baby B's development this week...
Your Pregnancy: Week 38 (www.parentsconnect.com)


Your Baby
Your baby's intestines have accumulated a considerable amount of meconium (the code name for black, tar-like baby poop), which is usually eliminated shortly after birth and gives you your first experience with the 100-wipe diaper change. Here's what else is up:

Your baby might just scratch herself in the womb as the fingernails have grown over the fingertips now. Resist painting them hot pink when she arrives.

Baby's lungs continue to mature and her brain and nerve function are working better every day. The latter two will continue to mature until Junior is a teenager, at which point she'll know it all (or at least she'll think she does).

Your baby weighs about 6½ pounds and is around 19 or 20 inches long—as long as a duffle bag (in case you needed an excuse to go shopping for a new bag for your labor gear).

No comments:

Post a Comment