Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mardi Gras 2011

This post is a loooong time coming, but I had to wait for my camera charger to make it home from Mobile...

Mardi Gras 2011 was a GREAT time & a *MUCH NEEDED* break from the daily grind for me & JD. The Bakers were sweet enough to open up their *fabulous* home to us for the weekend festivities! Did I mention in previous posts that their new house is on. the. parade. route.!?!?! There's simply no better way to enjoy a mardi gras parade than in the comfort of your own yard...
JD's favorite day of Mardi Gras has always been Joe Cain Day {Sunday}, & I think I'd have to agree. The thing I like most about Joe Cain day is the history - check out more info on Joe Cain here
Every year, the "widows" of Joe Cain dress in their best funeral attire & go down to the Church Street Cemetery to mourn their loss. The widows fascinate me, but nobody ever knows who the widows are - they are a *very* exclusive group & one can only become a "widow" if you are invited. Pam & I long to one day be a Joe Cain widow... You'll see a picture of Pam & Johnny's neighbor dressed up as an un-official widow. Also, you'll see a picture of ladies dressed in red dancing in the streets during a parade - these are Joe Cain's "mistresses". The mistresses have to walk in the parade while the widows ride in the floats. As you can imagine, the widows & the mistresses don't get along very well...

Here are a few pictures of the weekend...
{check out those party animals in the last shot}














No comments:

Post a Comment