Friday, December 9, 2011

Week 28: The Third Trimester Begins!!

Hi all - sorry, I'm a bit behind in blogging this week! Things have been busy, busy at work & at home with the holidays approaching!! As of today, we are 28 weeks & 5 days along! Annnnd, WE ARE IN THE THIRD TRIMESTER!! It kills me how quickly time has gone by during pregnancy, yet at the same time we are so very anxious to meet this little bundle of joy!! According to my doctor, things are continuing to progress nicely with Baby Baker - still measuring about two weeks ahead of schedule, but my doctor is keeping my due date at 02/26. I'm now seeing the doctor every 2 weeks (rather than 4) & will go back this coming Thursday. Things are definitely starting to get a bit more cramped / uncomfortable for me as baby is growing, growing, growing! Getting a "good nights sleep" is becoming more difficult as I am getting up on average 4 times a night & it's hard to get back to sleep. No real swelling issues, but I have just about given up on wearing my winter boots - I think that more so than swelling, the problem is that my joints are loosening up, so my feet just aren't fitting like they did before. Feet & leg cramps are more severe, but I can't complain - I know it's all part of the body doing what it needs to do to prepare for Baby's arrival! Baby has been moving & kicking more this week & at different times of the day. Maybe he / she is celebrating hitting the 3rd trimester milestone?

Here's what's going on with Baby Baker this week as we venture in to the last phase of pregnancy...

Your Pregnancy: Week 28 (www.parentsconnect.com)

As the Big Day nears, your baby is getting ready to go towards the light at the end of the tunnel (the tunnel being the birth canal, the light being the one the doctor is shining directly into it so she can see what the heck she's doing). Other highlights this week:

Your baby's eyes are partially open now and can blink. Truly superior babies can actually wink. (OK, there is no way to prove that, but it's fun to imagine, no?) Your baby can also now become a shiny, happy person as she has begun having rapid eye movement (Get it? REM? Shiny, happy person?? We'll be here all week.)

Her eyes have color now, too. It may not be the color she ultimately ends up with, especially if they're light gray or blue. The eyes typically don't settle on a final hue until nine months after baby is born. So when your mother-in-law says that the baby has her eyes, you can politely inform her that they'll most likely change soon. Sorry.

Your babe is downright chubby compared to a few weeks ago. She is about 15 inches long, about the length of an amusement park cinnamon-sugar-coated churro (yum!), and weighs 2 to 3 pounds.



Other events at the Baker house since my last post:
*got ourselves in the Christmas spirit by decorating inside & out! MANY thanks to my better half for doing all of the hauling of boxes & adorning of lights :)
*started holiday shopping (not NEARLY as far along as I had hoped, but baby steps, right?)
*our first BABY SHOWER hosted by JD's sister!! several of our family members were able to attend & brought lots of sweet gifts for our little baby-on-the-way!! We are so THANKFUL to Aunt Katie for opening her home & to our sweet families for coming out, especially during this busy time of year!! Baby Baker is already so very Blessed!!

Tomorrow JD & I have a full day of "Preparing for Parenthood" class at St. Vincent's hospital. During the day we will cover topics such as labor & delivery, options for pain management, C-section / postpartum care, newborn care, & a tour of the birthing suites! I am most excited to see the birthing suites so that I can get a better picture of what it will be like when Baby Baker makes his / her debut!!

That's all for now - hope everybody has a great weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment